Will my vehicle
require emission inspection - this year?
Is a title required to sell my vehicle?
Can I take the tag off of my other vehicle and place it on my new car?
When do I renew my registration?
How much is the penalty if I miss my deadline?
Can someone else come into the office for me?
What are my responsibilities as the owner of a vehicle with regards to the insurance laws?
I mailed my renewal form, my check has cleared the bank, and I did not receive my decal, what do I do?
Can my prestige plate be sent to another location?
- Will my vehicle require emission inspection this year? Back to top
- Effective January 1, 2015, in Fulton County, vehicle emission inspections are required every year on 1991 through 2012 model year gasoline-powered cars and light-duty trucks (up to 8,500 lbs. gross vehicle weight rating). Vehicle model years 2013 and newer model vehicles are currently exempt from inspection. For complete information you may contact the Georgia Clean Air Force at 800-449-2471 or visit their web site at www.cleanairforce.com.
- Is a title required to sell my vehicle? Back to top
- Titles are required when transferring ownership of all 1987 and newer model vehicles.
- Can I take the tag off of my other vehicle and place it on my new car? Back to top
- The only time a license plate can be transferred from one vehicle and placed on another is when the owner of the plate is no longer the owner of the vehicle. This transfer must be processed through the Motor Vehicle Division.
- When do I renew my registration? Back to top
- Tags expire at midnight on the birth date of the owner listed
first on the registration. The renewal period begins 30 days prior
to the registered owner's birthday. Renewal applications are mailed
out 30-45 days prior to the deadline. If you don't receive a
renewal, and your deadline is approaching, you may call our office
and request an application. Failure to receive a renewal
application does not relieve you of the obligation of registering
your vehicle by your birthday.
If the vehicle is owned by a business, the renewal period is determined by the first letter in the business name. Each letter is assigned a month and the renewal period ends on midnight of the last day of the month. Failure to receive a renewal application does not relieve you of the obligation of registering your vehicle by the designated deadline.
- How much is the penalty if I miss my deadline? Back to top
- If you do not renew by your deadline, there is a penalty of 10% of the ad valorem tax (minimum $5.00) and 25% penalty on the tag fee.
- Can someone else come into the office for me? Back to top
- You may appoint a representative to appear in the office for renewal of tags on your behalf by assigning to them a notarized power of attorney affidavit.
- What are my responsibilities as the owner of a vehicle with regards to the insurance laws? Back to top
- All motor vehicle registrations and renewals require valid, current insurance coverage with an insurance company licensed in the State of Georgia.
- With the exception of vehicles registering as part of a fleet or those vehicles listed as self-insured by the State, your insurance company is required to electronically update the State System with your insurance information.
- The VIN (vehicle identification number) on the insurance policy information card should match the VIN on your title and, if previously registered, the VIN in the Georgia State Motor Vehicle System.
- I mailed my renewal form, my check has cleared the bank, and I did not receive my decal, what do I do? Back to top
- We recommend the following steps:
a. Verify that application has been processed by calling the tag office.
b. If application was processed and it has been more than 30 days since the processing date you will need to request a replacement. There is no charge for this service.
c. If is has not been 30 days since the renewal issuance date you must wait until 30 days has lapsed before a replacement can be issued.
d. If the renewal issuance date has exceeded 90 days and you have not received the decal, there will be a $8.00 replacement fee.
- Can my prestige plate be sent to another location? Back to top
- Prestige license plates are manufactured by the State of Georgia, and then housed at our downtown warehouse. To send a prestige plate to one of our other locations or to verify our receipt of your ordered plate, please call (404) 613-6100 and speak to a customer service representative. Once requested, a minimum of 48 hours should be allowed for delivery to any of our other locations.